This is one of my family’s favorite dishes that I make when we have a meatless night. It can also be used as a side dish, though it is filling. It is an easy dish that comes together quickly without a lot mess and ingredients.
Mushrooms and Portobello’s specifically are very good for you. They are low in saturated fat, and contain a lot of fiber. They also supply copper, which helps your body produce it’s red blood cells. They are also very high in B-Complex vitamins, riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. Portobello mushrooms also contain 630 mg of potassium, more than a banana which has 422 mg.
4-6 Portobello mushrooms (one or two per person depending on the mushroom size)
½ Cup Part Skim Mozzarella
¼ cup Parmesan
Salt I do not cook with salt so feel free to add it.
1 cup low sodium marinara sauce
3 table spoons extra-virgin olive oil
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2) Remove the stem from the mushrooms.
3) Place the mushroom on a baking sheet with the top down.
4) Lightly brush the mushroom with the olive oil.
5) Sprinkle the mushroom with pepper, and garlic powder, and salt if you are using it.
6) Sprinkle the mozzarella over the mushrooms.
7) Sprinkle the parmesan over the mushroom.
8) Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese just starts to brown a bit.